Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

D23's Bambi Screening


          When I was a kid I was completely amazed by hand drawn animation, my thoughts haven't changed today. I've been very lucky to work at Hollywood Studios, and it's also taught me a lot about Disney's film industry, which brings me to how great the One Man's Dream attraction is. Inside they show different animation techniques the Disney Studios used to get the look they wanted, but I've been in and out of there a ton of times in the past few years. So when I heard we would get the chance to talk with Disney animator Andreas Deja who has worked on characters like Scar, King Triton, Mama Odie, and Bambi in Bambi II, I was extremely excited! On top of that Donnie Dunagan, voice talent of young Bambi. (also starred in 1939's Son of Frankenstein with Boris Karloff and Tower of London.)

          This was basically the first time watching it for me, the last time I saw it I was too young to remember. I couldn't believe how funny and artistic it was. Over the years I built up a stereotypic view that the movie was sad and long, but I was wrong. Why would I think that? We were dealing with a Disney movie, they combine beauty, emotion, and humor all in one. That is why they have been so successful for so long. I also couldn't help but feel like I was experiencing something not very many people get to do in there life. Which was watch the film in the same room with the man that voiced Bambi roughly 70 years ago, I mean whao!

Dunagan seen in red, Deja in black

          After the film we were introduced to both of the men, and absolutely loved how a simple question would be asked, but they had so much to answer with. As I was leaving, I got the chance to tell Mr. Dunagan that I could listen to his stories for hours...I wasn't lying. I filmed everything which can be watched (here).

          Something I want to point out quick, in the movie, the word Twitterpation is used, and obviously the first thing I tought of was twitter, but their definition of twitterpation is falling in love. I thought that was pretty neat.


          Next to Deja was a drawing easel, and what all of us hoped came true. He drew for us Bambi, and it amazed us all because he did it in less then a minute. I think it only took him that long because he was explaining it to us. Incredible to see that.



          Mr. Dunagan talked about what it was like to work on a film such as this at the age of 6, and how even to this day he has never met the person who voiced young Thumper. It was great getting the chance to meet and talk with them, even if it was brief. Hearing someone talk about their experience working with Walt is always very interesting. Check out the whole session on my YouTube page found here!



To see what the Bambi Second Screen Feature will be like, found on the Blu-Ray, click here!

Blog's Main Page: DisneyMagicMan.blogspot.com/
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/DisneyMagicMan
Subscribe to my channel on YouTube: www.youtube.com/DisneyMagicMan          

No comments:

Post a Comment